Bruce Power team wins U.S. National SWAT Championship
TIVERTON, ON – Oct. 26, 2011 – Bruce Power’s Nuclear Response Team has captured first prize at the 2011 U.S. National SWAT Championship in Tulsa, Okla.
This is the fourth year in a row Bruce Power has taken top prize at the competition which consists of eight tactical events that test fitness, weapons skills and team organization. Bruce Power finished first in six of those eight events which simulate real-life scenarios faced by tactical officers. Scoring is based on time and target hits and the events are conducted in full tactical gear in head-to-head stages.
“This team is a real credit to our company and have demonstrated great pride, dedication and integrity in winning this championship,” said Duncan Hawthorne, Bruce Power’s President and Chief Executive Officer.
Bruce Power was the only Canadian team competing at the event which attracted 23 tactical units from the U.S. and abroad. The team donated the prizes it won to various cash-strapped law enforcement organizations in the United States earning a standing ovation at the event’s awards banquet.
“These dedicated officers make an incredible personal sacrifice to be competitive at this level and to do this year-after-year is unprecedented,” said John Latouf, Deputy Chief Emergency and Protective Services. “The team that won it for the first time in Colorado has only two members on this year’s championship team so this is a true cross-section of our entire workgroup.”
Latouf said the competition team are Nuclear Response Team members first and part-time competitors second and will be back on shift this week protecting the Bruce Power facility alongside their fellow officers. Earlier this year, Bruce Power formed a new integrated emergency response organization combining all of its emergency response capability into a single organization including its security team.
“We are all very proud of their efforts and they are always excellent ambassadors for Bruce Power,” Latouf said.
- April, 2005 Placed fifth at World SWAT Challenge
- April, 2006 Eighth place at World SWAT Challenge
- June, 2006 First place in Police/Military category at Security Protection Officer Team Competition (SPOTC)
- May, 2007 Fourth at the World SWAT Challenge
- June, 2007 First place in the Police/Military category at SPOTC.
- Sept. 2007 First at Canadian Nuclear Security Officer’s Challenge
- May, 2008 First at U.S. National SWAT Championships
- June, 2008 First in Police/Military category at SPOTC
- June, 2009 First in Police/Military category at SPOTC
- June, 2009 First overall at U.S. National SWAT Championships
- June, 2010 First in Police/Military category at SPOTC
- June, 2010 First overall at U.S. National SWAT
- June, 2011 First in Police/Military category at SPOTC
- Oct. 2011 First overall at U.S. National SWAT Championships
About Bruce Power
Bruce Power is a partnership among Cameco Corporation, TransCanada Corporation, BPC Generation Infrastructure Trust, a trust established by the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System, the Power Workers’ Union and The Society of Energy Professionals.
For further information, please contact:
John Peevers 519-361-6583 email@example.com