Minister of Energy congratulates Bruce Power staff on completion of Restart Project
TIVERTON, ON – December 12, 2012 – Ontario Minister of Energy Chris Bentley visited the Bruce Power site today, congratulating employees on the return to service of Units 1 and 2 and thanking them for their commitment to safely generating low-cost electricity for Ontario homes and businesses.
The Bruce Power site will continue to be a source of low-cost electricity for Ontario homes and businesses for decades to come and provide jobs in the community,” said Ontario Minister of Energy Chris Bentley.
Ontario’s Long-Term Energy Plan has earmarked 6,300 megawatts from the Bruce Power site, along with investment in other clean sources, as key elements to modernizing the province’s electricity system and phasing out coal-fired generation. In addition to increasing the amount of clean electricity generation, Hydro One has also enhanced transmission infrastructure from the Bruce region to the Greater Toronto Area through the completion of the Bruce-Milton line earlier this year.
Over the last 10 years, Bruce Power has doubled its number of operating units from four to eight through over $7 billion in private investment, making it the largest single private investment in Ontario’s electricity infrastructure over the past decade. While returning all of the Bruce A units to service, these investments have also led to solid performance from the Bruce B units.
“Thanks to what we have achieved together, the people of Ontario will now benefit from the full potential of the Bruce Power site to keep electricity costs low for our families and businesses,” said Duncan Hawthorne, President and CEO of Bruce Power. “We look forward to continue working together to build on our success and secure the output from the Bruce Power site for the long term.”