On Nov. 17, Ottawa-Vanier and Niagara-West Glanbrook will be holding by-elections to elect their next Members of Provincial Parliament (MPP).
As in any campaign, a range of issues are being debated and discussed. Unfortunately, one anti-nuclear group has distributed misinformation once again about the role nuclear plays in Ontario as part of a clean, reliable and balanced supply mix.
The results of recent polls conducted for Bruce Power by Forum Research indicate the facts about nuclear power are well-known in Ottawa-Vanier and Niagara-West Glanbrook. The polls found:
- In Niagara-West Glanbrook, there is strong support for Bruce Power refurbishment as 76% of people believe it will have a positive impact on Ontario’s economy and 60% agree it will contribute to climate change goals.
- In Ottawa-Vanier, there is also strong support for Bruce Power refurbishment as 74% of people agree it will have a positive impact on Ontario’s economy and 68% believe it will contribute to climate change goals.
- Also in Ottawa-Vanier, in close proximity to Bruce Power’s health care partner Nordion, 78% of residents are more likely to support the life extension of nuclear facilities when the role of Ontario’s nuclear facilities in keeping hospitals around the world clean and safe is known.
- On issues important to local residents in Ottawa-Vanier and Niagara-West Glanbrook, including the cost of electricity, jobs/economy and health care, Bruce Power plays a key role in contributing positively in these areas.
Here are some facts about the role Bruce Power nuclear plays in Ontario:
- We generate 30 per cent of Ontario’s electricity at 30 per cent below the average residential price of electricity. (Source: Independent Electricity System Operator)
- We support economic growth and jobs. In fact, according to a report released last week, up to 22,000 jobs across the province are directly and indirectly supported from the Bruce Power site annually. (Source: Report from the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters and Provincial Building & Construction Trades Council of Ontario)
- We keep hospitals clean and safe throughout Ontario as the world’s largest supplier of Cobalt-60 and are now starting to produce medical Cobalt to treat Brain tumors. (Source: www.cleannuclearpowersafehospitals.com)
- We generate clean electricity every day, providing 70 per cent of the additional energy needed since 2003 to phase out the use of coal while cleaning the air and reducing smog days in the Greater Toronto Area from 45 in 2005 to zero in 2015. (Source: Asthma Society of Canada)
Please feel free to share these facts and poll results with anyone who may be interested. We look forward to continuing to communicate the facts about the role we play in the province as part of a clean, reliable and balanced supply mix across Ontario.