Bruce Power hosted the 29th annual Bruce County Fire School on April 27-28, giving 19 fire departments from across Bruce County along with the Goderich Fire Department the opportunity to engage in a variety of emergency training situations.
The following courses were delivered on the Bruce Power site over the weekend by instructors from the company and Bruce County:
- Class A&B Fire live training scenarios;
- Auto Extrication using heavy hydraulic tools, etc., to rescue people involved in a motor vehicle collision;
- Pumper Operations – awareness-level training to assist firefighters with operating larger pumper vehicles;
- High Angle Rescue using rope-rescue techniques;
- Forcible Entry using basic techniques to breach doors and gain entry into buildings, etc.;
- ASIST – a two-day mental health awareness course.
The 109 participating firefighters were welcomed to the site by Jennifer Edey, Bruce Power Vice-President, Site Services; Bruce Power Fire Chief Brian Cumming; Huron-Bruce MP Ben Lobb; Huron-Bruce MPP and Minister of Education Lisa Thompson; and the Mayor of Kincardine, Anne Eadie.
“We thank all of the firefighters for their commitment to their individual communities, and for participating in the Fire School,” said Brian Cumming, Bruce Power Fire Chief and Department Manager, Emergency Services Operations and Emergency & Protective Services. “The students and instructors worked together over the two days through heavy winds, cold and limited sunshine to make the school a resounding success.”
About Bruce Power
Formed in 2001, Bruce Power is an electricity company based in Bruce County, Ontario. We are powered by our people. Our 4,200 employees are the foundation of our accomplishments and are proud of the role they play in safely delivering clean, reliable, low-cost nuclear power to families and businesses across the province. Bruce Power has worked hard to build strong roots in Ontario and is committed to protecting the environment and supporting the communities in which we live. Learn more at www.brucepower.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
For more information, contact:
John Peevers – Director, Corporate Communications – 519-361-6583 – email@example.com