The Province of Ontario has a diverse energy supply mix that relies heavily on reliable and carbon-free nuclear power from the Bruce Power, Darlington and Pickering facilities.

In 2014, nuclear power provided 62% of Ontario’s electricity, while Bruce Power provided nearly half the nuclear and 30% of the province’s total power from its eight-unit site. Combining with emissions-free hydro (water) power (24%) and wind (4%), about 90% of Ontario’s supply mix came from carbon-free sources in 2014. The other 10% came from fossil-fuel sources like natural gas and coal, though the final coal plant was shut down in April 2014.

By refurbishing four of its previously dormant units since 2003, Bruce Power provided about 70% of the clean electricity the province needed to shutter its polluting coal plants, which has been deemed the most progressive environmental program in North America, becoming a reality in April 2014. The other 30% of the energy was realized through increased wind and solar projects, a drop in demand and increased conservation efforts.

Ontario’s future supply mix is guided by Ontario’s Long-Term Energy Plan, which was last released by the Minister of Energy in 2013. This guiding document is based on thousands of public submissions and town hall-type meetings, and maps the future of the province’s electricity sector. Under the LTEP, nuclear will continue to play a key role in the supply mix, specifically at Bruce Power, which will be counted upon for 6,300 megawatts of carbon-free power from its eight-unit site in Tiverton, ON.