Tomorrow, the northern Ontario riding of Sault Ste. Marie will hold a highly publicized by-election to elect its next Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP).
Just as in any campaign, a range of issues are being debated and discussed. Unfortunately, one anti-nuclear group has distributed misinformation about the role that nuclear plays in Ontario as part of a clean, reliable and balanced supply mix.
Here are some facts about Bruce Power’s role in Ontario:
- We generate 30 per cent of Ontario’s electricity at 30 per cent less than the average cost to generate residential power. We are a low-cost electricity generator. (Source: Ontario Energy Board 2016 Supply Cost)
- We support economic growth and jobs. In fact, an estimated 22,000 jobs across the province are directly and indirectly supported from the Bruce Power site and $4 billion in economic activity. (Source: Affordable Power. Jobs & Growth Report)
- We keep hospitals clean and safe in Sault Ste. Marie, throughout Ontario and across the globe as the world’s largest supplier of Cobalt-60. (Source: www.cleannuclearpowersafehospitals.com)
- We generate clean electricity every day, providing 70 per cent of the additional energy needed since 2003 to phase out coal-fired power, while cleaning the air and reducing smog days. (Source: Asthma Society of Canada)
The results of a recent poll conducted for Bruce Power by Innovative Research earlier this month indicate that the facts about Bruce Power nuclear power are well-known in the riding of Sault Ste. Marie. The poll found:
- The cost of electricity is an important issue for voters, with 69 per cent of respondents considering this a ‘very important’ issue. Jobs and the economy are top of mind for voters, with 74 per cent of respondents considering this a ‘very important’ issue. Health care is also a key issue, with 77 per cent of residents ranking it as a ‘very important’ issue.
- Given the importance of nuclear refurbishment to keeping prices low, the economy and supporting clean hospitals, seven-in-10 support upgrading and refurbishing existing plants.
The issues of importance to people in Sault Ste. Marie are shared by Bruce Power, and we work hard every day to continue delivering low-cost electricity that creates jobs and economic growth, modern health care and clean air for our communities.
About Bruce Power Formed in 2001, Bruce Power is an electricity company based in Bruce County, Ontario. We are powered by our people. Our 4,200 employees are the foundation of our accomplishments and are proud of the role they play in safely delivering clean, reliable, low-cost nuclear power to families and businesses across the province. Bruce Power has worked hard to build strong roots in Ontario and is committed to protecting the environment and supporting the communities in which we live. Learn more at www.brucepower.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
For more information, contact:
John Peevers, 519-361-6583; email@example.com