Bruce Power is proud to be a major sponsor of the inaugural SWERVE event, taking place in Saugeen Shores this weekend.
The free public festival, hosted by the Nuclear Innovation Institute, will showcase interactive technology and innovation displays and activities for all ages. The event takes place Sept. 9-11 at the Southampton Coliseum.
“At Bruce Power, we are always innovating and looking at new technologies to continue to provide safe, clean electricity to the people of Ontario, as well as cancer-fighting medical isotopes to the world medical community,” said Mike Rencheck, Bruce Power’s President and CEO. “We applaud the Nuclear Innovation Institute for bringing SWERVE to our community and providing young people with an opportunity to see how technology can play a role in our future.”
“Together, with the support of NII’s Founding Members like Bruce Power — as well as other sponsors across the energy industry and beyond — we are able to bring this unique STEM experience to visitors of all ages,” said Bruce Wallace, NII President and CEO. “Our member companies embody the spirit of SWERVE, day in and day out exploring emerging technologies, driving innovation and helping shape a better future — this event celebrates the impact of their work.”
Some of the attractions at SWERVE include:
- Virtual reality experiences that take guests from the International Space Station or the rings of Cirque du Soleil to a deep mine shaft or the helm of a tanker ship.
- Advanced 3D printing demonstrations.
- Robots that are changing the way we build, work and have fun—coming to the event from YouTube, clean energy leaders, and the company behind the Canadarm.
- Electric vehicle test drives and a look under the hood of the all-new electric F-150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E.
- Two e-sports tournaments.
- A chance to see clean energy at work – pedal a bike to make hydrogen, see how pumped storage works, and put on a magnetic suit to become a medical isotope superhero.
- The NII ExploreZone featuring STEM challenges, a makerspace, hands-on library exhibit, and other immersive experiences for kids.
The schedule for the festival is:
- Friday, Sept. 9, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 10, from 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 11, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
For more information, visit nii.ca/swerve.
About the Nuclear Innovation Institute
The Nuclear Innovation Institute (NII) is an independent, not-for-profit organization that provides a platform to accelerate innovation and the implementation of business relevant solutions for the nuclear industry. NII’s goal is to shape a Canadian nuclear industry that embraces new thinking, new technologies and new lines of business that can drive the global shift to a low-carbon future. Learn more at nii.ca.
About Bruce Power
Bruce Power is an electricity company based in Bruce County, Ontario. We are powered by our people. Our 4,200 employees are the foundation of our accomplishments and are proud of the role they play in safely delivering clean, reliable, low-cost nuclear power to families and businesses across the province and life-saving medical isotopes around the world. Bruce Power has worked hard to build strong roots in Ontario and is committed to protecting the environment and supporting the communities in which we live. Formed in 2001, Bruce Power is a Canadian-owned partnership of TC Energy, OMERS, the Power Workers’ Union and The Society of United Professionals. Learn more at www.brucepower.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.